Gazpacho Soup with Crispy Chickpeas
Gazpacho soup is a flavorful, refreshing cold soup made of raw, blended vegetables. It is a good source of vitamins and minerals such as vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin K, potassium, and folate. It's a wonderful way to use up fresh tomatoes and other veggies from the ingredients list you may be growing in your garden! The addition of crispy chickpeas provides a source of protein to the soup and helps make it more filling. Enjoy it as a meal itself or pair alongside a side salad and/or crunchy bread!
Servings: 4 servings
Individual Portion: 2 cups soup topped with 1/3 cup crispy chickpeas
Prep Time: 20 minutes + 1-24 hours in fridge
Cook Time: 15-20 minutes for chickpeas
6 vine tomatoes, cored and quartered
½ large green bell pepper, seeded
½ large English cucumber, peeled and seeded
½ large red onion, quartered
3 garlic cloves, peeled
1 ½ Tablespoons sherry vinegar (or red wine vinegar or white wine vinegar)
1 ½ teaspoon coarse salt (optional)
¾ teaspoon ground black pepper
5 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
1 (15.5 oz) can chickpeas, drained/rinsed (low-sodium optional)
1 teaspoon cumin
½ teaspoon smoked paprika
Parsley, chopped for garnish
1. In a blender, add the tomato quarters gradually and pulse to blend in batches. Add the green bell pepper and pulse to blend. Cut cucumber into quarters and add to blender, pulsing to blend. Add onion quarters and pulse to blend well.
2. Add garlic cloves, sherry vinegar, 1 teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon black pepper. Pulse to blend well.
3. Gradually add 4 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil one tablespoon at a time, pulsing after each tablespoon to blend well.
4. Taste and add additional seasonings as needed. If the texture is too thick, gradually add cold water 1 Tablespoon at a time until the consistency is as desired. 5. Refrigerate soup for 1-24 hours, until chilled.
6. When soup is chilled and ready to eat, cook chickpeas. Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F.
7. Combine chickpeas, cumin, paprika, ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon black pepper, 1 Tablespoon olive oil in a bowl and mix well until fully coated. Spread chickpeas onto lined baking sheet and cook in oven for 15-20 minutes until crispy. Turn chickpeas halfway through cooking.
8. Add 2 cups soup to a bowl and top with a sprinkle of parsley and a 1/3 cup crispy chickpeas. If desired, sprinkle a drizzle of additional olive oil on top.
Nutrition Facts: Serving size: 2 cups soup topped with 1/3 cup crispy chickpeas | Calories: 348 | Total Fat: 19 g | Saturated Fat: 3 g | Cholesterol: 0 mg | Sodium: 518 mg | Total Carbs: 38 g | Dietary Fiber: 9 g | Sugars: 6 g | Protein: 8 g
Note: This blog provides general information and discussions about health and related subjects. The information and other content provided in this blog, website or in any linked materials are not intended and should not be considered, or used as a substitute for, medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. This blog does not constitute the practice of any medical, nursing or other professional health care advice, diagnosis or treatment. We cannot diagnose conditions, provide second opinions or make specific treatment recommendations through this blog or website. If you think you may have a medical emergency, immediately call your doctor or dial 911.